Monday, January 6, 2014

blessings and worship and a baby

Oh hello, little blog! So glad you're still here after my 8 week hiatus due to a cute little somebody coming into our lives. It has been the happiest/craziest/hardest/most exhausting 8 weeks I've ever experienced, and I knew it would be but you never truly know and understand until your in the trenches of pain, 2 am feedings, worry, puke, and diapers. But more on all that later…

It is a balmy -21 degrees with a windchill of -47 degrees today. The fireplace is roaring and Jack and I are preparing to have a long snuggle/nap session this afternoon to the tune of The Office and fleece blankets. I've already eaten breakfast, showered, and nursed Jack, who is now snoozing in his swing, so I'm feeling particularly productive and cozy on this Monday morning. Just within the past week, Jack is starting to get into a little routine and I've been able to count on things like eating, quiet time, naps, and checking my email. It's been awesome, and something I am not taking for granted! I read this this morning in "My Utmost for His Highest":

Worship is giving God the best that He has given you. Be careful what you do with the best you have. Whenever you get a blessing from God, give it back to Him as a love gift. Take time to meditate before God and offer the blessing back to Him in a deliberate act of worship. If you hoard a thing for yourself, it will turn into spiritual dry rot, as the manna did when it was hoarded. God will never let you hold a spiritual thing for yourself, it has to be given back to Him that He may make it a blessing to others.

I couldn't help but think that the blessing the text talked about was this new little life God has given us. We must commit him and his life to the Lord so He can do great things through Jack.Yes, as a mother I'd love to keep him under my wing of protection to shield him from the hurt, pain, and trials of this world, but as parents we are commanded to dedicate our child to God, the one who gave us this blessing in the first place.

I am so amazed at how much joy and pride my baby brings me. I honestly think he is the cutest baby boy I've ever seen. :) And yes, for the first few weeks, he didn't do much except eat, sleep, poop, and cry. But just within the past week or so, he's started cracking smiles, cooing, and showing us how strong he is with his crazy kicking. It's crazy how much my heart bursts when he looks up at me and cracks a little side grin and then lets out a little gurgle. I have LOVED the newborn stage where it's all about a tiny, cuddly baby, but I'm so excited for this next phase of development - when he's still small and cuddly, but also so smiley and responsive. Love it!





No comments:

Post a Comment