Friday, December 14, 2012

A Merry Little Christmas




What is it about Christmas music that makes it so emotional? Or am I the only one who cries almost every single time we sing “O Holy Night” in church? James Taylor’s version of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is the same way. I heard it in the car on the way to work this morning = tears. And the funny thing is, I never really know why I’m crying. It’s definitely not because I’m sad, but it’s not really tears of joy either. But more along the lines of emotion, memories, and love.

Christmas has always been one of my most favorite times of the year and I have so many good memories associated with this cherished holiday. Memories of family traditions – oyster soup on Christmas Eve, finding a $2 bill in our stockings every year, decorating for Christmas to a Kenny G. tape, sleeping by the tree at Grandma’s, watching old cartoon Christmas movies with my brother and sister. I know that many people say that Christmas is one of the most stressful times of their year, but I’m so thankful that I did not grow up with that mentality. Besides the “stress” of traveling to Grandpa and Grandma’s, or now Mom and Dad’s, Christmas has always been about relaxation, fun traditions, delicious food, ripping open hand picked gifts, and thankfulness of what the season truly represents.

And that is something I want to pass on to our children someday. I don’t ever want it to be hurried or rushed or completely focused on the materialism that is thrown in your face during the Christmas season. I want to start silly little traditions. I want to read the real Christmas story before opening gifts, like Grandpa D always did. I want our children to understand that giving is better than receiving. I want our Christmas holiday to be cozy and simple, not overdone and fancy. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is thanks, Mom and Dad. My tears during Christmas are good tears and happen because even when we were little and unruly and didn't want to eat the oyster soup, you still did...you made memories with us and for us. Opening gifts each year is always a blast, but you've given us so much more than physical gifts over the years. You've given us traditions, love, and memories. And that's what keeps us longing to come home every December.

No comments:

Post a Comment