Thursday, February 27, 2014

blueberry muffins


I love baking, especially in the winter. It makes the kitchen feel and smell so cozy. I'm a total type-A personality when it comes to recipes, though; I follow them to a T and do not experiment. I've always wished I could be one of those people who thinks up recipes with the inspiration of just one ingredient. My thinking has always been, "If I don't put in exactly what the recipe says, my cake/bread/muffins will be ruined and I'll have gone to all this work for nothing." Until yesterday.

Scrambled eggs is my go-to breakfast and with Jack getting into more of a routine, I'm getting back into my scrambled eggs for breakfast routine. Yay! I always like to have something along side my eggs, usually something like a piece of toast or banana bread. And lately, I've been craving blueberry muffins. I wanted a muffin that was hearty and not too sweet, and ultimately decided on this recipe. But guess what? I didn't follow it exactly. I only had half the amount of wheat flour on hand, so I used all purpose flour as well. I also subbed in unsweetened applesauce for the oil. And guess what? The muffins turned out great! Go figure.

Blueberry Muffins
adapted from this recipe

1 cup mashed bananas
1 egg
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease muffin tin or paper muffin liners. The original recipe makes 18 muffins, but I them a little on the big side and only made 12.
Mix together mashed bananas, egg, water, and applesauce in a large bowl. Mix in flour, baking soda, and baking powder until mostly smooth. Gently fold in the blueberries.
Bake for 15-20 minutes and until the tops are golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment